Security is an important topic these days. It feels as if none of our data is safe. Adding a security certificate to your site is an excellent way to protect your customers & readers information going to and from your site.
An SSL (secure sockets layer) certificate keeps you and your customers safe by protecting the information that’s flowing to and from your website. It encrypts names, addresses, passwords, account and credit card numbers and more so hackers and other online criminals can’t read them.
An SSL certificate serves as an electronic “passport.” It establishes the website’s authenticity and credibility and enables the browser and Web server to build a secure, encrypted connection.
Credibility is established by checking the digital certificate, which includes:
- The Certificate holder’s name (individual or company)
- The Certificate’s serial number and expiration date
- A copy of the Certificate holder’s “public” cryptographic key
- The digital signature of the Certificate-issuing authority
- Extended SSL Certificates give the site visitor an additional visual cue, displaying the Certificate holder’s name against a distinctive green background in the visitor’s browser bar
Once a visitor is on an SSL-protected page, the following visual indicators appear to show them that your site is secure and to give them the confidence to proceed:
- A “padlock” icon in the browser’s status bar
- The https:// prefix in the URL
- The URL address bar turns to green (Extended Validation Certificates only).
- The Trusted “Verified and Secure” site seal
Why choose a Westerly Hosting SSL?
- Fully validated
- Up to 256-bit encryption
- Valid up to 5 years (depending on certificate type)
- 99% browser recognition
- Stringent authentication
- Phone, email and Web support
- Warranty (up to $1,000,000)
- Covers an unlimited number of servers
(other Certification Authorities charge for every server)
Our certificates provide the same type of ironclad, corporate-class security as our competitors, but for up to 90% less than you’ll pay elsewhere! Our SSL certificates start at $50/year and grow with your business. Click here to learn more about our SSL certificates.